Current:Home > InvestColorado Anti-Fracking Activists Fall Short in Ballot Efforts -Infinite Edge Learning
Colorado Anti-Fracking Activists Fall Short in Ballot Efforts
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:04:42
Two anti-fracking initiatives did not get enough valid signatures to qualify for the November ballot, Colorado officials announced on Monday, giving the oil and gas industry its latest victory over communities seeking to exert local control over fracking.
This was the second time Coloradans concerned about the environmental, public health and economic impacts of hydraulic fracturing and related oil and gas activity have tried to restrict the industry through ballot initiatives. In 2014, Gov. John Hickenlooper struck a last-minute political deal with the initiative’s main sponsor, Democratic Congressman Jared Polis, to stop the petition, offering instead to create a task force to address the issues.
But after recommendations proposed by that task force had largely failed to translate into legislative action and Colorado’s high court struck down some local fracking bans, activists renewed the push for ballot measures.
This time, they collected more than the required number of signatures, 98,492, for each one, but the Colorado Secretary of State’s office said not enough of the signatures were valid to qualify.
Proposed ballot initiative No. 75 would have amended Colorado’s constitution to give communities more authority to regulate the oil and gas industry, including the power to temporarily ban fracking; meanwhile, ballot initiative No. 78 proposed that all oil and gas activity be set back 2,500 feet from homes, schools and other occupied structures. The state already mandates a 500-foot setback.
“Coloradans have sent a clear message that they don’t want to resolve these complex issues at the ballot box,” Dan Haley, president and chief executive of the trade group Colorado Oil and Gas Association, said in a statement. “The good news is that after this long and unnecessary battle, our state emerges as the winner.”
Opponents of the two measures, including the oil and gas industry, raised more than $15 million and spent about a third of that money during the signature-collecting phase.
Support for the initiatives was spearheaded by a coalition of grassroots organizations. Larger state and national green groups, including Conservation Colorado, Earthworks, 350 Action, Greenpeace, and the Sierra Club, offered a mix of financial and other support. (The Environmental Defense Fund is notably absent from this list.) The initiative’s proponents collected less than $500,000 on the campaigns and spent roughly half.
“We may be disappointed today, but tomorrow we get back to work empowering communities and keeping fossil fuels in the ground,” said Denver-based Greenpeace campaigner Diana Best in a statement. “This fight is far from over.”
Conservation Colorado’s executive director Pete Maysmith said the difference in money spent on the two sides of the issue highlights the power of the oil and gas industry and “the extraordinary lengths that they are willing to go to in order to keep the people of Colorado from being able to vote on issues affecting their own state.”
The Secretary of State’s office reviewed a random sampling of the submitted signatures and projected only 79,634 valid signatures for initiative No. 75 and 77,109 for No. 78. Duplicate signatures, forged signatures, signatures from people outside the state and signature forms with missing information could all be considered invalid. Campaign proponents have not yet said whether they will appeal; they have 30 days to challenge the state’s decision.
Towns, counties and states across the country have had mixed success in banning fracking. While New York successfully banned the practice in December 2014, Texas and Oklahoma passed laws last year making it illegal for communities to halt local fracking activity.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Average rate on 30
- Jussie Smollett Gets Rehab Treatment Amid Appeal in Fake Hate Crime Case
- Tupac murder suspect Duane Davis set to appear in court
- Japan’s exports rise and imports decline in September as auto shipments to US and Europe climb
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- SNL debuts with Pete Davidson discussing Israel-Hamas war and surprise cameos by Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce
- Philadelphia Eagles sign seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Julio Jones
- What would Martha do? Martha Stewart collabs with Etsy for festive Holiday Collection
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- New California law will require large corporations to reveal carbon emissions by 2026
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- John Legend says he wants to keep his family protected with updated COVID vaccine
- Nolan Arenado's streak of consecutive Gold Gloves at third base ends
- Pennsylvania House OKs bill to move 2024 primary election by 1 week in protracted fight over date
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Help! What should I be for Halloween?
- I-25 in Colorado set to reopen Thursday after train derailment collapsed bridge and killed trucker
- Tropical Storm Tammy forms in tropical Atlantic heading toward group of islands, forecasters say
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Inter Miami faces Charlotte FC in key MLS game: How to watch, will Lionel Messi play?
Thrift store chain case was no bargain for Washington attorney general; legal fees top $4.2 million
French-Iranian academic imprisoned for years in Iran returns to France
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Widow of prominent Pakistani journalist sues Kenyan police over his killing a year ago
Prosecutors won’t charge ex-UFC champ Conor McGregor with sexual assault after NBA Finals incident
Corrupt ex-Baltimore police officer asks for compassionate prison release, citing cancer diagnosis